Any Trades
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Trades

For pokemon Diamond and Pearl players who need a place to find others to trade/battle with.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In Depth Breeding Guide

Go down 
+2
lyrical_conception
Donald
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Donald
Battler
Battler
Donald

Male
Number of posts : 100
Trainer Type : Professor
Friend Code D/P : 3007-7658-3389
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani156In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani157In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani162In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani418In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani419In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani004
Warning :
In Depth Breeding Guide Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In Depth Breeding Guide Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-02-20

In Depth Breeding Guide Empty
PostSubject: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2008, 1:03 pm

Introduction:
With the addition of the new Pokemon games, and the Wi-Fi battling feature, the online community of pokemon increases dramatically. This guide is to help out those of you who never played competitively in prior generations, but would like to stand a chance against players that have been for years. You need to put many factors into winning a game in today's competitive metagame.

Many people see all of this EV/IV and breeding stuff as quite intimidating. Thinking that it'll just take too long, or that it's too complicated, etc... If you don't want to take the time to do it, that's your perrogative. You're the one that spent $35 on the game, don't let anyone tell you how you have to play it.

Also keep this in mind though, if you plan to battle against people on Wi-Fi, you will lose just about every time you go up against people that have taken the time to do this. The effect this stuff has on your pokemon is very noticeable, especially at level 100.

Okay, on with the Breeding Guide!

Natures and IVs:
Unlike EVs, Natures/IVs cannot be changed, and you don't have direct control over them, though you do want them to be good. I'm going to try to explain what you can do in order to try and get good values for these.

"What are Natures?"
Every pokémon has a nature, you can see it on the "Trainer Memo" page of the summary.

Natures can be more important than EVs, each nature gives a 10% boost to one stat, while cutting a different stat by 10%. This can mean quite a bit. If your main attacker uses all physical attacks and has a nature like Timid (-Attack), then it's not going to be nearly as strong as it could be.

So its like the is going to be 110% the other will be 90%

There's 25 different natures:
(Attack ) natures
Lonely........Attack .........Defense -
Brave..........Attack .........Speed -
Adament........Attack .........Special Attack -
Naughty........Attack .........Special Defense -

(Defense ) natures
Bold...........Defense ........Attack -
Relaxed........Defense ........Speed -
Impish.........Defense ........Special Attack -
Lax............Defense ........Special Defense -

(Speed ) natures
Timid..........Speed ..........Attack -
Hasty..........Speed ..........Defense -
Jolly..........Speed ..........Special Attack -
Naive..........Speed ..........Special Defense -

(Special Attack ) natures
Modest.........Special Attack ..............Attack -
Mild...........Special Attack ..............Defense -
Quiet..........Special Attack ..............Speed -
Rash...........Special Attack ..............Special Defense -

(Special Defense ) natures
Calm............Special Defense ............Attack -
Gentle..........Special Defense ............Defense -
Sassy...........Special Defense ............Speed -
Careful.........Special Defense ............Special Attack -

Small Note:There's actually 5 natures that have no effect on stats, if you get one of those natures, then you're not getting the 10% hinderance to a stat, but you're also losing out on the 10% boost.

· Hardy

· Docile

· Serious

· Bashful

· Quirky

Nobody expects you to learn them all, especially since you'll only ever use a few of them. As you've probably noticed, no nature effects HP.

Okay, I know them now, but it does me no good, my Jolteon is Brave, and you said that I can't change it.
True, you can't change it. This is the reason that most people don't use the same team that they used in-game to battle over Wi-Fi. For in-game stuff, your nature really won't matter too much, but of course trying to find the correct nature never hurts.

If you don't have the nature that you want, then sadly you're stuck raising a new one. You can either breed for a better nature or catch more of the pokemon hoping for a good nature.

What?! I need a Bold Chansey, you expect me to catch those rare things, hoping for the 4% chance at a Bold one!?
Well, yeah... Luckily there are a few tricks you can do.

Get a pokemon with the ability "Synchronize" (Ralts line, Abra line, Espeon, Umbreon). If a pokemon with Synchronize is at the head of your party, 50% of the wild pokemon that you encounter will have the same nature. This GREATLY enhances your chances of getting the correct nature on a pokémon.

Small Note: This works on legendary/one-chance pokemon too, just save in front of them, catch it, check nature, and restart if necessary.

Get a Ditto or a female of the species you want that has the right nature. When you breed for a pokemon, have the female (or Ditto) hold an Everstone, this gives the female (or Ditto) a 50% chance of passing it's nature down to the egg.

Small Note: There's one set Everstone in the game, unless you want to go underground for one, you can trade the girl in Snowpoint a Medicham for her Haunter, the Haunter you get will be holding an Everstone.

Small Note: Ditto always takes priority as the "Everstone holder", If you breed a Ditto with a female, the female cannot pass it's nature, even through use of the Everstone.

OK, so cool, with the right nature Abra and/or Ditto, I can get any pokémon with a good nature, right?

Pretty much, the only ones that are going to give a ton of trouble are runners. (Cresselia, Suicune, Mesprit, etc...) For those, the Synchronize trick still works, but it's nature will be set on your very first encounter so if you see it, you won't be able to save again until it's caught to make sure it's nature is good, assuming you want to use it competitively.

OK, I got Natures. Now, what are IVs?
"IV" stands for "Individual Value". IV's are somewhat similar to EVs, as they're both represented by numbers, they're both hidden, and they both affect your stats. Though IVs are set at the time of the pokémon's creation, and it cannot be changed.

IVs range from 0-31. There's no limit to what your IVs can be, nothing says that you can't have 31s across the board, and there's nothing that says you can't have straight 0s either. Whatever numbers your IVs are they're basically just a rating of how good that stat is when compared to others of the same pokémon.

OK, Now that I know what IVs are, how can I get good ones?
I hate IVs, because basically, you obtain them the same way you do for natures, by breeding and/or catching more. The difference is that there's not tricks to it like there are with natures. There's no abilities or hold items that will help shift the IVs of pokemon, it's basically a shot in the dark.

Although, you can somewhat breed for IVs, Once you have a decent IV on any pokemon, that IV can be passed down to the egg. When bred, a pokémon receives one random IV from the father, one random IV from the mother, and one random IV that can come from either parent.

So you basically keep breeding pokémon that have the IVs that you desire, until those IVs are passed down. So For example:

Say you want a Pichu with good speed, defense, and HP, and you have the following:

Male Pikachu IVs: 31HP, 7Atk, 11Def, 30Sp.A, 26Sp.D, 9Speed
Female Pikachu IVs: 14HP, 29Atk, 31Def, 2Sp.A, 4 Sp.D, 31Speed

You breed them until you get a Pichu that happens to have it's HP IV from the father, it's Defense IV from the mother, and it's Speed IV from the mother.

Alright, I get it, but you said that IVs were hidden, how am I supposed to find out what they are?
Another reason that I hate IVs...
There's no way in-game to find out really what they are, you'd have to go to a website with an IV Calculator, I personally use this one:

Metalkid's IV Cal.

It's pretty self-explanatory, you click in your pokémon, level, stats, nature, and EVs (if you know them), and it tells you your IVs.

Problem is, most of the time it's hard to get precise IVs until you're a decent level. So, you'd basically have to level each of the pokémon to at least 30ish before deciding if it's IVs are good enough... Yeah, it's very annoying...

Luckily, there's a trick! With the inclusion of Wi-Fi, you actually can check exact IVs of any freshly hatched/caught pokemon. Over Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection you can automatically scale your pokémon to level 100, check the stats, and click those into an IV calculator, works fine.

Yes, it's still a bit of a hassle to find someone to agree to do a battle with you just for that, but it's a little easier than leveling up all of your pokémon high enough to find IVs, and the IVs you get will be 100% exact.

Sounds complicated, how exactly do people go through all of this for IVs?

Put simply, DITTO IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

After you have everything set up, breeding for IVs is pretty painless, and doesn't take very long. I'll list it as a Step-by-Step process.

Step 1: Catch Dittos
Very simple, Go to Route 218 with your trusty Pokéradar, and go crazy. Seriosuly, chain-catch as many Ditto as you can stand to catch. If you can, use the Synchronize trick to guarantee multiple catches of the important natures (Adamant, Jolly, Timid, Modest, Impish, Bold, and Calm). Once you have Dittos coming out the wazoo, move on to step 2.

Step 2: Check the Ditto IVs
Use the methods I mentioned above to check the IVs of the Dittos. Write down the good ones, it's also a good idea to use the PC's "Mark" option, so you can tell them apart, assuming you get multiple Ditto with decent IVs and the same nature.

Step 3: Dump the garbage
Obviously, not all the Dittos are going to have good IVs, so get rid of any with non-desirable IVs, and that PC space is limited and valuable. Also, keep in mind that you're not looking for perfect IVs. If you catch a Timid Ditto with a 31 Speed, but 0 everything else, it's still useful. You can breed it until just that 31 Speed is passed.

Step 4: Breed like crazy
If you have your Dittos, then, you're halfway done. Now choose a pokémon for your team, and choose the nature you want on it. Pick out an appropriate natured Ditto, and simply have them breed. Hatch the eggs, and release any of them that don't have the desired nature, gender, ability, etc... Whenever you're ready check the IVs, and then simply take your pick. If none of the hatched pokémon have IVs that are good enough, then go back and hatch more.

Step 5: It's ALL preference
It's up to you on all the aspects on this process. If you want to catch 150 Dittos waiting for an Adamant one with three 31 IVs, go for it. If you only want to catch 2 of them, and rely on the random bred IVs to come out good, it's up to you.

You don't have to have perfect IVs to be a good battler, a Porygon-Z with a 31 Sp.Atk IV isn't going to be far off from one with a Sp.Atk IV of 20. You don't want to ignore IVs, but don't kill yourself waiting months for 30-31 IVs across the board. (Unless you actually want to)

How many Ditto you need to catch?

It actually turns out that the average amount of Ditto you need to catch in order to get six Dittos with one perfect IV, one Ditto for every stat, is 85. You might need less than this, or more, but 85 is the average number of Dittos you'll need to catch. This is slightly less than 3 full boxes of Ditto. To get these six Dittos, all with the nature you want, you’ll need to catch twice this number, or an average of 170 Dittos. You might think that 170 Dittos are a lot, but remember that you need to do this only once (it only takes a few hours) and then always use these Ditto whenever you need to breed.

What are Egg Groups?
Egg Groups are groups saying what can breed with what.In total, there are 13 Egg Groups and Pokémon can only breed with other Pokémon of their Egg Group. They are as follows:

Monster
Dragon
Plant
Humanshape
Indeterminate
Mineral
Fairy
Bug
Ground
Water A
Water B
Water C
No Egg

The "No Egg" Group means that they are either genderless, baby Pokémon or legendary. Further details on how to breed genderless Pokémon further down.

Last edited by Donald on Fri 21 Mar 2008, 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Donald
Battler
Battler
Donald

Male
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani156In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani157In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani162In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani418In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani419In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani004
Warning :
In Depth Breeding Guide Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In Depth Breeding Guide Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2008, 1:18 pm

Baby Pokémon, what are they?
Baby Pokémon are pre-evolutions of basic Pokémon. Baby Pokémon were introduced in GSC and have been since. All Baby Pokémon have appeared from Pokemon of different gens, except for a couple like Togepi and Riolu.
Example: Budew appears in the 4th but Roselia appears in the 3rd and 4th.

How do you get these Baby Pokémon?
Here are the methods on how to get Baby Pokémon via Breeding:

2nd Gen

Cleffa: Breed 2 Clefairy/Clefable (1 Female, 1 Male)

Pichu: Breed two Pikachu/Raichu (1 Female, 1 Male)

Igglybuff: Breed 2 Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff (1 Female, 1 Male)

Togepi: Breed 2 Togetic/Togekiss (1 Female, 1 Male)

Smoochum: Breed Jynx with a Male Humanshape Pokemon, or Ditto

Tyrogue: Hitmonchan/lee/top with Ditto

Elekid: Breed 2 Electabuzz/Electivire (1 Female and 1 Male)

Magby: Breed 2 Magmar/Magmortar (1 Female and 1 Male)

3rd Gen

Azurill: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Marill/Azumarill)
Note: The female Marill/Azumarill must be holding the Sea Incense to obtain Azurill

Wynaut: Breed 2 Pokemon(1 being a Female Wobbuffet)
Note: The female Wobbuffet must be holding the Lax Incense to obtain Wynaut.

4th Gen

Budew: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Roselia/Roserade)
Note:The female Roselia/Roserade must be holding the Rose Incense to obtain Budew.

Chingling: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Chimecho)
Note: The female Chimecho must be holding the Pure Incense to obtain Chingling.

Bonsly: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Sudowoodo)
Note: The female Sudowoodo must be holding the Rock Incense to obtain Bonsly.

Mime Jr.: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Mr. Mime)
Note: The female Mr. Mime must be holding the Odd Incense to obtain Mime Jr.

Happiny: Breed a Chansey/Blissey with a Ditto
Note: Chansey/Blissey must be holding the Luck Incense to obtain Happiny.

Munchlax: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Snorlax)
Note: The female Munchlax must be holding the Full Incense to obtain Munchlax.

Mantyke: Breed 2 Pokemon (1 being a Female Mantine)
Note: The female Mantine must be holding the Wave Incense to obtain Mantyke.

Riolu: Breed 2 Lucario (1 female, 1 male)

When eggs hatch, what level are they?
All Pokemon that hatched from Eggs in the 2nd and 3rd gen were LV.5
In DP, they hatch at LV.1
This gives a better reason to give it EXP.SHARE.

But how long does it take to breed?
The speeds of breeding vary on what the Day Care Man says.

There are three basic speeds to breeding:

Fast: Same Species(NOT same evolutionary line)/Different ID
Note: The Day Care Man must say "The two seem to get along."

Moderate: Same Species/Same ID OR VICE VERSA
Note: The Day Care Man must say "The two prefer to play with eachother rather than any others"

Slow: Different Species/Same ID
Note: The day Care Man must say "The two don't seem to like each other much"

You need both requirements to breed at the pace you want to.

I've got some eggs, but, is there a way to hatch them quicker?

The only abilities I can think of are Flame Body and Magma Armor which cuts the steps required by about 45%.

Also, the Pokémon that has one of these two abilities must always be in lead position for this trick to work.

I get the Pokémon I want but I'm sick of not getting the right nature. Is there a way to help with this?
Yes there is, an Everstone. When an Everstone is given to the mother of the newborn, there will be a 50% chance of passing down its own nature. This wont work with the father so make sure you have the right nature.

Here is an example of what would happen if you bred a female Gardevoir holding an Everstone with a Gallade.

Female Gardevoir w/Gallade
Gardevoir has a Modest Nature.
There will be a 50% chance of the new born Ralts being Modest also.

If you breed with a Ditto however, Ditto must always hold the Everstone. This is the only exception.

Here is another example but with Ditto:

Female Gardevoir w/Ditto
Gardevoir has a Modest Nature. Ditto has an Adamant Nature.
If you give the Everstone to Gardevoir, you will have as little chance of getting Modest as any other nature. But if you give the Everstone to Ditto, youll have a 50% chance that the newborn Ralts has an Adamant Nature.

Youve talked about Ditto, but what makes it so great? Its just a piece of jelly for Pete's sake.
Ditto, Ditto...Ditto. Without it, Genderless Pokémon wouldnt have been able to breed . Fortunately, Ditto has made it all possible. You gotta love that Ditto. It may be a piece of jelly but it is a very important piece of jelly when it comes to breeding.

Okay, weve now talked about Ditto, but, which Pokémon can only breed with Ditto?
To make a long list short, Genderless Pokémon can only breed with Ditto.

Okay, I understand that clearly. Is there any Pokémon that cant breed even with Ditto?
Yes there is. Here is a list of them:

· All Legendaries (except Manaphy)

· All Baby Pokemon

· Nidorina

· Nidoqueen

· Unown (All forms)

· Ditto :/

Manaphy is a legendary, so how can it breed with Ditto?

Manaphy, the Pokémon that can only be obtained via Pokemon Ranger.
When breeding Manaphy, you will obtain a Pokémon known as Phione.
It is at LV.1 obviously when newly born and cant evolve into Manaphy.
Why? It remains a mystery.

I've seen that some Pokémon can learn moves they wouldnt normally learn depending on what they breed with. Is this true?
It is true. This procedure is called Chain Breeding. Chain Breeding is where you breed with several Pokémon to get a moveset you want for another certain Pokémon. Chain Breeding is mainly when you need to breed something which then breeds with something else that can learn that move via breeding.

Say you want an Omanyte with Haze and Toxic Spikes, this is how you would do it:

-Male Quagsire levels up and learns Haze.
-Quagsire breeds with Female Omanyte. Haze breeds onto new male Omanyte.
-Omanyte with Haze then breeds with female Tentacool.
-New male Tentacool levels up (Heart Scale, actually) and learns Toxic Spikes. Tentacool now knows both moves.
-Tentacool breeds with female Omanyte to produce Omanyte with Haze and Toxic Spikes.

One more thing: If the Pokémon you want to breed the egg moves onto is in the "Ground" egg group, Smeargle is very helpful. What you must do is Sketch all of your wanted egg moves onto Smeargle. How do you do that, you ask? Catch another Pokémon that can learn the move naturally. Then, erase every other move that it has. Fight a Ditto. It will transform. Then, bring out your Smeargle and Sketch it. It's also possible to get a Smeargle with all of the Pokémon-exclusive moves this way 0_o

Chain Breeding is more complicated than the rest of the stuff above.

So, that means I can get a Leafeon with Glaceon's Ice Shard!
Wrong. Level-up moves and egg moves can only be bred onto a Pokémon if its lowest form can learn them. Eevee cannot learn Ice Shard, so neither can Leafeon. That goes with all evolutions, including Eeveelutions.

The Characteristics List

What are Characteristics?

In D/P, there is a little note describing the Pokemon a little bit. This is derived from its stats, specifically its IVs (Individual Values).
In total, there are 30 characteristics...5 for each stat.

This note will post your Pokemon's highest IV. On the contrary, its a bit more complicated than that as each saying corresponding to multiple IVs. To be able to completely confirm this, you should use an IV calculator.

Also, there is a rumor going about that some characteristics take precedence over others if the stats are equal. If that is true, the Def takes precedence over Spd and HP takes precedence over Atk. More research is required to confirm this.

The characteristics are for all the stats and can easily at first glance tell you to aim to be either more defensive or just more offensive.

Below is the list of all of the characteristics and the IVs to which they correspond:

HP

Loves to eat
5/10/15/20/25/30

Often dozes off
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

Scatters things often
2/7/12/17/22/27

Often scatters things
3/8/13/18/23/28

Likes to relax
4/9/14/19/24/29

Ironically, the only difference between the 3rd and 4th HP characteristic is the IVs :/

Attack

Proud of its power
5/10/15/20/25/30

Likes to thrash about
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

A little quick tempered
2/7/12/17/22/27

Likes to fight
3/8/13/18/23/28

Quick tempered
4/9/14/19/24/29

Defense

Sturdy body
5/10/15/20/25/30

Capable of taking hits
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

Highly persistant
2/7/12/17/22/27

Good endurance
3/8/13/18/23/28

Good perseverance
4/9/14/19/24/29

Special Attack

Highly curious
5/10/15/20/25/30

Mischievous
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

Thoroughly cunning
2/7/12/17/22/27

Often lost in thought
3/8/13/18/23/28

Very finicky
4/9/14/19/24/29

Special Defense

Strong willed
5/10/15/20/25/30

Somewhat vain
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

Strongly defiant
2/7/12/17/22/27

Hates to lose
3/8/13/18/23/28

Somewhat stubborn
4/9/14/19/24/29

Speed

Likes to run
5/10/15/20/25/30

Alert to sounds
1/6/11/16/21/26/31

Impetuous and silly
2/7/12/17/22/27

Somewhat of a clown
3/8/13/18/23/28

Quick to flee
4/9/14/19/24/29

The numbers below the characteristics correspond to the possible best IVs of one of your Pokémon.

Awesomearific. I have a Pokémon that has an "Alert to sounds" characteristic. But how do I know if it has 31 IVs in Speed?

As aforementioned, IVs are invisible numbers. The only solution to know these IVs are IV Calcualtors. There are many different IV Calcualtors, some being better than others. If you don't use an IV Calculator, you will not know what your Pokémon's IVs are.

Back to top Go down
Donald
Battler
Battler
Donald

Male
Warning :

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeFri 21 Mar 2008, 1:18 pm

Moveset Breeding

Not only IVs and natures can be passed down to the baby, but moves as well.

Because of this, it is very important that before actually starting to breed, the baby's moveset should be decided, since there are some moves that can´t be learned by certain Pokémon unless you breed with a particular parent. There are five types of moves that can be passed from the parents to the baby:

1) Level Up Moves: If both parents know the same Level Up move and the baby can learn the same move by level up, the baby will be born with that move. For example, if a male Slowbro is breeding with a female Slowking and both know the Level up move Zen Headbutt, the baby Slowpoke will be born knowing Zen Headbutt.

2) TM or HM moves: If the male parent knows a TM or HM move and the baby can learn that same TM or HM, the baby will be born with that move. Also, if a genderless parent knows a TM or HM move when it breeds with Ditto, the baby will be born with that TM or HM move as well. For example, if you want a Swampert that knows the move Ice Beam, and you don't have Ice Beam as a TM, you can breed your Swampert with a male Dewgong that knows Ice Beam.

3) Egg moves: If the male parent knows a move which the baby can only learn as an Egg move, the baby will be born with that move. You can find a list of Egg moves that each Pokémon learns on most Pokédex (for example SmogonDex). For example, if you want a Sceptile that knows the move Leech Seed, you can breed a Sceptile with a male Venusaur knowing Leech Seed.

4) Move Tutor moves: These moves can only be passed to the baby if they are also among the Egg moves of the baby. See point 3) above. For example, if you want a Medicham with the move Ice Punch, which is an egg move, you can breed it with a male Alakazam that learned Ice Punch from the Emerald move tutor.

5) Volt Tackle move: When breeding for Pichu in E, if any of the parents is a Pikachu or a Raichu holding the item Light Ball, then the baby Pichu will be born knowing the move Volt Tackle.

As you can see, Level up moves and TM or HM moves are relatively easy to breed. A slight complication can occur if you're breeding for an egg move. Sometimes, you'd need to breed for various Pokémon consecutively in order to get the egg move you need. This is called a breeding move chain.

For example, suppose you need to breed a Larvitar with the egg move Dragon Dance. Checking all the Pokémon that can breed with Larvitar and that can learn Dragon Dance, we find two possibilies: Charmander and (in DP) Totodile. The problem, though, is that Dragon Dance is an egg move also for both Charmander and Totodile. So you first need to breed for a male baby Charmander or Totodile to get Dragon Dance, which would then be bred with your Larvitar to give him Dragon Dance. Charmander can breed with either Gyarados, Altaria or Dragonite, all of which learn Dragon Dance by level up, and Totodile can breed with Kingdra, which also learns Dragon Dance by level up.

Male Horsea with Dragon Dance -> Male Totodile with Dragon Dance -> Larvitar with Dragon Dance

Let’s give a second example. Suppose you need to breed a Snorunt with the egg move Spikes. Checking all the Pokémon that can breed with Snorunt and that can learn Spikes, we find that only Roselia can learn Spikes and can breed with Snorunt. The problem, though, is that Spikes is an egg move also for Roselia. So you first need to breed for a male baby Roselia to get Spikes, which would then be bred with your Snorunt to give him Spikes. Roselia can breed with Cacturne, and Cacturne can learn Spikes by Level up. So the breeding move chain is:

Male Cacturne with Spikes -> Male Roselia with Spikes -> Snorunt with Spikes

Egg Groups

Only Pokémon from the same group can breed. The final forms of the Pokémon are listed in alphabetical order, since all evolved Pokémon forms can breed except Nidorina and Nidoqueen.

Monster:
Abomasnow, Aggron, Ampharos, Bastiodon, Blastoise, Charizard, Exploud, Feraligatr, Garchomp, Kangaskhan, Lapras, Lickylicky, Marowak, Meganium, Nidoking, Nidoran, Rampardos, Rhyperior, Sceptile, Slowbro, Slowking, Snorlax, Swampert, Torterra, Tropius, Tyranitar, Venusaur

Dragon:
Altaria, Arbok, Charizard, Dragonite, Garchomp, Gyarados, Kingdra, Milotic, Salamence, Sceptile, Seviper

Ground:
Absol, Ambipom, Ampharos, Arbok, Arcanine, Bibarel, Blaziken, Buizel, Camerupt, Delcatty, Delibird, Dewgong, Donphan, Dugtrio, Dunsparce, Empoleon, Espeon, Exploud, Farfetch'd, Flareon, Furret, Girafarig, Glaceon, Golduck, Granbull, Grumpig, Hippowdon, Houndoom, Infernape, Jolteon, Kecleon, Leafeon, Linoone, Lopunny, Lucario, Luxray, Mamoswine, Manectric, Mawile, Mightyena, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoran, Ninetales, Pachirisu, Persian, Primeape, Purugly, Quagsire, Raichu, Rapidash, Raticate, Rhyperior, Sandslash, Seviper, Shiftry, Skuntank, Slaking, Smeargle, Spinda, Stantler, Tauros, Torkoal, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Ursaring, Vaporeon, Wailord, Walrein, Weavile, Zangoose

Water 1:
Azumarill, Bibarel, Blastoise, Buizel, Corsola, Crawdaunt, Delibird, Dewgong, Dragonite, Empoleon, Feraligatr, Gastrodon, Golduck, Gorebyss, Huntail, Kabutops, Kingdra, Lapras, Ludicolo, Mantine, Masquerain, Milotic, Octillery, Omastar, Pelipper, Politoed, Poliwrath, Quagsire, Relicanth, Slowbro, Slowking, Swampert, Walrein

Water 2:
Gyarados, Lanturn, Lumineon, Luvdisc, Octillery, Qwilfish, Relicanth, Seaking, Sharpedo, Wailord, Whiscash

Water 3:
Armaldo, Cloyster, Corsola, Cradily, Crawdaunt, Drapion, Kabutops, Kingler, Omastar, Tentacruel

Flying:
Aerodactyl, Altaria, Chatot, Crobat, Dodrio, Farfetch'd, Fearow, Honchkrow, Noctowl, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Skarmory, Staraptor, Swellow, Togekiss, Xatu

Bug:
Ariados, Beautifly, Beedrill, Butterfree, Drapion, Dustox, Flygon, Forretress, Gliscor, Heracross, Illumise, Kricketune, Ledian, Masquerain, Mothim, Ninjask, Parasect, Pinsir, Scizor, Scyther, Shuckle, Venomoth, Vespiquen, Volbeat, Wormadam, Yanmega

Plant:
Abomasnow, Bellossom, Breloom, Cacturne, Carnivine, Cherrim, Exeggutor, Jumpluff, Ludicolo, Meganium, Parasect, Roserade, Shiftry, Sunflora, Tangrowth, Torterra, Tropius, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume

Fairy:
Azumarill, Blissey, Breloom, Castform, Cherrim, Clefable, Delcatty, Froslass, Glalie, Granbull, Jumpluff, Mawile, Minun, Pachirisu, Plusle, Raichu, Roserade, Togekiss, Wigglytuff

Humanshape:
Alakazam, Cacturne, Electivire, Hariyama, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Hypno, Illumise, Infernape, Jynx, Lopunny, Lucario, Machamp, Magmortar, Medicham, Mr. Mime, Sableye, Spinda, Toxicroak, Volbeat

Indeterminate:
Banette, Castform, Chimecho, Drifblim, Dusknoir, Gallade, Gardevoir, Gastrodon, Gengar, Magcargo, Mismagius, Muk, Spiritomb, Swalot, Weezing, Wobbuffet

Mineral:
Froslass, Glalie, Golem, Probopass, Steelix, Sudowoodo

Genderless (can only breed with Ditto):
Bronzong, Claydol, Electrode, Lunatone, Magnezone, Manaphy, Metagross, Porygon-Z, Rotom, Shedinja, Solrock, Starmie

Also, Ditto can breed with any Pokémon from any egg group.

Breeding Route
In Diamond and Pearl, there is a nice road connecting Route 210 (north of SolaceonTown) and Route 209 (south of SolaceonTown) where you can bike through it back and forth while you're breeding. This road is 123 steps long. The distance from the Day Care man standing in front of the day care to the top of Route 210 is 64 steps. The distance between him and the bottom of Route 209 is 71 steps.

Strange things about Pokemon Breeding

· Some aspects and contradictions of breeding in the games have spawned debate and confusion. Those Pokémon which breed differently whether holding or not holding an Incense are also popularly debated, most especially if the Incense is necessary in the first place to make an excuse as to why the Baby forms could not be previously obtained. Also, some unusual pairings of Pokémon can be found within the Egg Groups, such as Sandslash and Arbok, or Skitty and Wailord.

· One particularly unusual note is that Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot breed, despite the fact that their pre-evolution and male counterparts can. No reason has been given for this.

· Another very unusual note is that Seviper and Zangoose can breed, despite the fact that the Pokédex says that they are mortal enemies.

· Though there is no way for legendary Pokémon to be bred, there is is evidence that it occurs somehow, since eggs with Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres can be hatched in Snap and a baby Lugia has been seen in the anime. Likewise, Manaphy can be hatched from a special egg from Ranger in Diamond and Pearl. Furthermore, Manaphy is the only legendary Pokémon who can breed with a Ditto. However, the offspring will be Phione, who doesn't evolve into Manaphy.

· When a Pokémon hatches from an egg during both Generation II and Generation III, it is at level 5; however, Pokémon can be found in the routes around the player's hometown that are leveled lower than this, down to level 2. This oddity was addressed in Generation IV, where all hatched Pokémon started at level 1.

· No negative effects occur from inbreeding Pokémon in Generation III and Generation IV, despite this being impossible in Generation II.
Back to top Go down
lyrical_conception
Admin
Admin
lyrical_conception

Male
Number of posts : 25
Trainer Type :
Friend Code D/P :
Friend Code Platinum :
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide 2ivd8vm
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeTue 25 Mar 2008, 10:13 am

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wow very nice donald what a intricate guide thanx
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/da_elevator
MANUEL
Battler
Battler
MANUEL

Male
Number of posts : 49
Location : Savvanah,Georgia I swear I u stalk me i'll beat ur A**
Trainer Type : Battler
Friend Code D/P : 4725-7776-7858
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide 2ivd8vm
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeSun 04 May 2008, 4:08 pm

WTF dat's long
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/m91994v
yanks4ever
Battler
Battler
yanks4ever

Male
Number of posts : 408
Trainer Type : NINJA Clan Leader, UU Battler, Educator
Friend Code D/P : Pearl: 0387-6668-1876
Friend Code Platinum : Platinum: 5413-5808-2607
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeSun 04 May 2008, 4:41 pm

ya did u copy and paste tht or was tht written urself?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1467856086&ref
Nessfloon
Coordinator
Coordinator
Nessfloon

Female
Number of posts : 281
Trainer Type : Coordinator
Friend Code D/P : 2105 7643 1997
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani456In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani425In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani151In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani461In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani335In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani404In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani417In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani380In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani420In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani478In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani407
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeMon 05 May 2008, 9:41 pm

he forgot to credit the info, we're not super insane poke smart. ^.^
Back to top Go down
https://anytrades.darkbb.com
Donald
Battler
Battler
Donald

Male
Warning :

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 6:04 pm

Psh no I wrote it all myself.

Lol, no. I cant find the link to where I got it from. But I didn't write it, no.
Back to top Go down
Nessfloon
Coordinator
Coordinator
Nessfloon

Female
Number of posts : 281
Trainer Type : Coordinator
Friend Code D/P : 2105 7643 1997
My Pokemon Team : In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani456In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani425In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani151In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani461In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani335In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani404In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani417In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani380In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani420In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani478In Depth Breeding Guide Dpiconani407
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 6:41 pm

lol, ive seen it before.... hm..

lol, of course i couldnt remember it. =P
Back to top Go down
https://anytrades.darkbb.com
yanks4ever
Battler
Battler
yanks4ever

Male
Number of posts : 408
Trainer Type : NINJA Clan Leader, UU Battler, Educator
Friend Code D/P : Pearl: 0387-6668-1876
Friend Code Platinum : Platinum: 5413-5808-2607
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2008, 7:24 pm

yeh how long did it take?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1467856086&ref
M.C.Pie

M.C.Pie

Male
Number of posts : 103
Trainer Type : pokemon of pwnage
Friend Code D/P : 000000000000
Friend Code Platinum : 197760532760
My Pokemon Team : that one pokemon and 5 other pokemon
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 6:05 pm

thx thats all i has to say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Depth Breeding Guide   In Depth Breeding Guide I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In Depth Breeding Guide
Page 1 of 1